Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thoughts on Ephesians 4:1-3

Today I started reading Ephesians 4 and got stuck at verses 1-3. Paul writes, I "implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

There are several sections that immediately stand out to me.

1. "Walk in a manner worthy of the calling..."
We are called into relationship with God through Christ's death and resurrection and we are called to make known the opportunity for others to join in that relationship as well. The price that was made to make my calling possible was unmeasurably great. Jesus set aside the glories of heaven and his rightful authority there and came as a man to suffer what I deserved (death) in my place. To walk worthy of that price and calling, I have to be vigilant against growing complacent. I've been a Christian for almost 30 years, and I confess that it is easy to take that gift for granted. Lord, help me to recognize the miracle of the price that was paid so that you could draw me to yourself and never grow accustomed to that knowledge but wonder at it daily.

2. "Showing tolerance for one another in love"
This one stands out to me because of the use of the word "tolerance." That has become a bit of a bad word in Christian circles because it has been used to validate or overlook sin. However, in this case, Paul is talking about our relationships with other believers. I see a lot of intolerance and strife between many in the body of Christ. I have a goal to make my presence, both in person and online, one that is encouraging and peaceful, rather than one that stirs up dissension and disunity.

3. "Being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace"
This is so active in tone. It is not merely a state of being peaceful, but one of continual watchfulness and heightened awareness of possible disunity. Letting the fruits of the Spirit within us work themselves out in such a way that we actively and purposefully preserve unity and peace among believers would help to bear out the phrase "They will know we are Christians by our love one for another."

No comments:

The hubby and me

The hubby and me