Monday, May 9, 2011

Jasmine's Name



So, this morning I read the first two verses of chapter 5 of Ephesians:
"Therefore, be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, as an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma."

This weekend in Branson, Jasmine was more than a little difficult. She had a bit of a cold, was sleep-deprived, and had too much junk food and television. She was whiny, demanding, and disobedient - with moments of cuteness. The exact opposite of her normal personality. We had a good time, but it would have been a lot easier if she had been cooperating. (This pic was one of the good times when she was riding a mechanical boar at Shorty Small's restaurant.)

The verses this morning always remind me of when we were choosing Jasmine's name. We knew we wanted to use Mike's Mom's name (Diane) for the middle name. I have always been very aware of name meanings, even as a child, so I wanted the name to mean something significant. We couldn't find the exact right name until I found out that Jasmine means "a sweet fragrance." Diane means "of the Divine." Her name means "a sweet fragrance of the Divine."

That is exactly what we are supposed to be in this world. A sweet aroma that draws others to God through our love, joy, and peace, even in difficult situations.

This weekend, I didn't always demonstrate this quality to my kids as their behavior began to wear on my nerves, but I am trying to improve in this area. I want the Holy Spirit within me to bear the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control that creates a lovely perfume to those around me.

On a side note, this morning when back in their routines, after a good night's sleep, and with no soda or TV, the kids are back to being their sweet selves again. :-)

No comments:

The hubby and me

The hubby and me