Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An Epic Calling

As I read on in Ephesians, I am struck today not by a specific verse but the whole of chapter three. Listening to Paul describe the call on his life, I wonder if I have such a grand, sweeping, epic mission to complete. He makes statements like "my insight into the mystery of Christ which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men" (Eph 3:4-5). Paul says he is called to "preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ" (Eph 3:8) and to "bring to light what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God who created all things." (Eph 3:9)

God has called each one of us to a life and a mission. Do I see mine with such confidence and clarity as Paul sees his? Or am I marking time with mundane, but necessary, duties having little to no eternal value?

Can I see my role as a wife and mother as building up eternal beings and ushering them into the family and presence of God as grand, sweeping, and epic? Am I focusing on my efforts to be a part of a local church family and build, encourage, and lead others in this journey as a mission and calling?

Paul prays, "the He (God) would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth , and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God." (Eph 3:16-19)

I am coming to the conclusion as I think and type at the same time that if I stay filled with wonder at all God has done for me through Christ Jesus, I will more readily see the mission set before me to extend grace, kindness, love, and encouragement, indeed to extend Jesus, to others.

No comments:

The hubby and me

The hubby and me