Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Back in the saddle...

Well, I'm back. I have had whooping cough and a virus for over two weeks now, so I haven't posted in what seems like forever. Enough excuses...back in the saddle.

I'll admit it, Ephesians 5:22-24 has always given me a little trouble. These are the scripture in the Bible that say,

"Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything."

I feel like I have been given a revelation that when I am in proper submission, it frees me from responsibilities that were never mine to handle. With this freedom from stress, comes the ability to truly be myself and go after the big things God has for me, and us as a couple. The picture of a wife in submission is not one who is a doormat, but one who is a partner, not continually pulling away from her husband to go her own way.

I know intellectually that God designed marriage, and that His plan works best. However, walking out these verses has always given me a bit of a problem. You see, I like to have my own way. I know, for those of you who know me well, this is no huge revelation. :-)
More specifically, I think I know the 'right' way. I married a strong man, who also thinks he knows the 'right' way. Sometimes, this works out beautifully, and it is 'us against the world.' However, some days are ideas of 'right' do not merge so gracefully, and I find myself grumbling and fighting the boundaries within marriage.
Just like when I fight obeying God, I know in my mind and heart that I need to have a better attitude, but it is so hard sometimes.

Lately, while being sick. I was getting frustrated with everything very easily. Mike didn't ever do anything wrong, in fact he was very helpful and understanding, but I have not had the best attitude. I have wanted to go my own way and do my own thing, and felt that Mike was being over protective.

God, help me to know deep within myself that Your plans are higher than mine and that Your thoughts are always the 'right' ones. Help me to submit to Mike as I should to you. You are leading him, and I should be following.

No comments:

The hubby and me

The hubby and me