Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Building an "I can do it!" kid

Not too long ago, our pastor's wife (beautiful Ms. Pam) challenged all of us to be encouraging. To be cheerleaders for our husbands. To build in our kids the idea that they can accomplish whatever God has for them to do. I have been trying to get better at increasing my ratio of encouragement to correction. I just reaped a benefit, even if it was just a small one.

Jasmine has been in a phase lately of wanting to act like a baby. She is three and very articulate. She has good large and fine motor skills. However, she has reverted to baby talk, wanting to be held, and needing help with everything. Can we say frustrating????

I just turned on the computer for her because she wanted to go to the NickJr website and watch Dora. I was expecting that she would want me to put on the show and then change it for her each time one ended.

She surprised me. She logged on herself, clicked on the website in the bookmarks, found Dora and clicked on her. I looked at her and said, "Jasmine, you are getting really good at this!"
"Thanks, Mommy!" she replied and lifted her lips for a kiss.

Then she turned back to the computer and clicked on a game. She turned to me and said, matter-of-factly, "I'm going to play this one cause I'm really good at it!"

So cute.

My focus scripture this morning is Ephesians 5:4 "There must be no filthiness or silly talk, or coarsse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks."

I am choosing to be thankful today for a little girl who is on her way to becoming a confident young lady (even though the road is still long). For a little boy who loves his sister and helps her when I can't get to it. For a husband who loves us even when all of us are whining. :-)
God has truly blessed me. Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

The hubby and me

The hubby and me